Thread: Screening
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Reminder - we are not discusing the OP as that screen was seen.

My reference is from page 146 (Appendix III, Section 2. Screening, e.

I think the phrase Such a case is to be ruled incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact does exempt a player from being called for a foul.
I was only discussing the OP and the issues with the OP. I was not just grabbing a situation out of the air. And I agree that your reference makes some sense, but it must be noted that this is under a title called "Officiating Guidelines." So this is not the way the rule reads exactly and even though I would take into account if a screened players sees or does not see the screen, but I do not think there is support under the actual rule to just not call a foul just because they are blind. Remember, we are talking about a play where a defender had several steps before contact. We are not talking about a step or two before contact. And I will also say that this issue has been addressed by Hank Nichols (I do not work Women's basketball so I cannot speak for their guidelines) in the NCAA Men's tape that this can be called a foul as well as nothing. I will have to look it up, but I would not be completely surprised if there is a play in the current year's tape.

Peace