View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Music and commentator

Two different schools I have called at this year.

One has a DJ (lack of better term) that plays the music all the way up until I actually hand the ball to the thrower in. This is High School. I haven't said anthing to game management, but the music is so loud that afer a TO or to start the Quarter, I blow the whistle to get everyones attention. Hoping the music will stop. It plays until I hand the ball to the player, then it sort- of fades away. It started playing during a visitors free throw and I had to stop the game. Looking back on it, I should have called a T on the home team. The visiting coach was slobbering on the back of my shirt when the music started. He was livid. Funny thing is, I had went to the DJ before the game started and asked him about his equipment and just sort-of chewed the fat with him, then reminded him when the appropriate time for music was. I believe that this is walking a thin line.

Second school has an announcer for the VB. I know of the guy. Veteran announcer for many of the Teams in the Houston area. He's been around for years. He's does some college and NBA. He's an arena announcer. This upscale Prep school invited him to do one of their games. It started out with the announcing only during dead balls, but later in the game, I heard the quips after the home teams basket. Then he would do the same on the visiting teams basket. I didn't say anything because it wasn't a district game. My co-official didn't think there was anything wrong with it when I talked to him about my discomfort with it. I believe that according to the NFHS, this is a direct violation of the rules. I've talked to several other officials since this and they have stories of other schools that are doing similar things. Am I just old school or is this illegal?