Thread: 178-174!!!!
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I'm a virgin - be gentle.

Before I ask my question, I have to admit, I've been a voyeur on this site for a couple of months. I have learned an incredible amount, and am, hopefully on my way to recovery from howler monkeydom. I hope I'm at least only a growler monkey now.

Anyway, my question is, and I mean it in all sincerity, have you as an official ever looked back on a close game, and felt like you cost a team a victory with a call or no-call. I mean, players look back at a single moment and consider themselves a goat or a hero based on one play (Horry v. Divac on Horry's 3), even though its never true that one "incident" can cause a victory or loss. I just wonder if officials feel that way.

And, please don't take this in an accusatory manner. Although I've disagreed with officials in the past (and wrongly most of the time!), I like to think I've never blamed a loss or been given a win by officiating. Trust me, I know players and coaches make a lot more mistakes than officials.
One of the best times to be an official (at least for me) is to break down the game right after with my partners. Like everyone has said, there are ones I "kicked", ones I might have called or not called after thinking about it, but I have never felt I cost a team the game. When a team has zero turnovers, is perfect from the floor and line and loses, then maybe I'll question myself, but to date, that has never happended.

Which is why I found that Duke player getting the red arse after the IU game so funny, the refs didn't miss the free throw...