View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Marty,

Here in wet old Portland, OR I have worked with Pam (our only female varsity umpire) and found her superior to many of my men crew mates.

I also attended Golden State Umpire Clinic with Rita (see above) and with the exception of the experience factor I found her to be quite proficient.

HOWEVER, I just know too many college, semi-professional and professional coaches (and managers) that would stew inside if a female umpire showed for the game.

I do believe that in the public sector (FED, College, etc.) that your response is well worthy of the situation -- I think the women that have worked PROFESSIONAL games will tell you a little different story.

We know clearly that women have it tough (impossible?) in pro ball because the battles against them are fought behind the scenes and not openly.

Also, one final thought: I have always been a supporter of accepting any school or coach that decided to "scratch" me or any of my partners. I have always felt "if they don't want me fine, I don't want to be there!"

Now we have a whole new issue: Can a coach "scratch" a woman umpire (BTW, here a coach does not need to give any reason and is allow two "free"scratches a year) for no apparant reason.

Good post.