View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Home or Away Game?

How is the umpire suppose to keep up with the status of each redshirt during the course of a season?

Does the coach have to declare a change in a player's pre-season status before each and every game of a season?

If the coach gave the guy a game uniform, then he is considered part of the team. If he plays and it is later determined that he is no longer a redshirt freshman, for various reasons, I've got nothing. If this is a league issue, of course, I will accept any protest lodged by the opponents, and allow the league to penalize the event. Answer D seems very plausible.

I would like to go with choice A, as if I were an NCAA umpire, because it is more politically correct. FWIW, MLB allows "bullpen catchers" not listed on the roster to remain in the bullpen. Of cousre, I assume this MLB allowance will apply to an NCAA game. If not D or A, then I would enforce B, after speaking with the coach, and have him acknowledge the mistake and remove the "fan" from the field.

FWIW, this decision C, the UIC will forfeit the game because of the "ineligible player," seems politically incorrect because of conference standings, travel, etc. I would never cancel a game for this reason. Play the game. Straighten it out later.

D is best option {League issue}, A or B tie {to allow or not to allow by specific NCAA rule}, and never C {worst case points back to D}.
However, if it were not a League issue, then I choose A over B without any specific NCAA rule addressing redshirt elgibility available.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 04:06pm.