Thread: Today
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Today

Varsity B/G double header, started at noon (a great thing given that the school is 2 hours from my home). Some odd things happened.

Each game started with a jump ball violation. Girls game, both players tipped it once, then white jumper grabbed it before it it the floor. (A first in a game I've done) I'm R, U1 grabs it. Boys game, visitor's jumper steals the tip. I'm U1 and grab it. (My second ever.)

Girls game is a blowout. White only has 5 players on the roster, finishes with 4 (a first for me). Could have been worse, as one of the four who finished actually had 4 fouls by half time.

Middle of the 4th quarter, white takes the ball out for a spot throwin on the endline in their backcourt, and set up their offense as if they're shooting at that basket. My partner notices and expects they'll shoot at the wrong basket. They do. They hadn't shot well all game, but poor girl made this one. (A first for me in a game I've officiated. Had two teammates do it when I played in school, though.) After the ball goes through, partner hits his whistle; informs the table the points need to go to black, and resets the kids, making sure white gets the ball for the endline throwin.

Black, who won by about 458 points, ran their press all game, only pulling back occasionally for a possession or so. A first for me in a blowout. Most coaches are kind enough to pull back, at least in the 4th quarter.

Early fourth quarter, black starts clearing his bench during some freethrow. Suddenly a girl shows up in a red jersey. (another first for me) Partner walks over to the coach and tells him she can't play. Coach says he was told to bring as many girls as he could (I think they anticipated a blowout). Partner walks over to the home coach to see if he's okay with it; he is (very classy, IMO). Although he does ask, in jest, for some extra free throws out of the deal.

After the game, and on the drive home, we discussed the situation and couldn't reach a resolution. I thought coach could buy her in with a technical foul, both of my partners thought she just simply couldn't play. I think it falls under the illegal jersey rule (just like non-white for home, or illegal styles, etc.) Partners disagreed, but not sure why. Thoughts?