View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't normally post here. (Hi, guys!) But I thought I would chime in on this one, being uniquely qualified.

I have yet to hear any comments of that sort but I have yet to work anything above Sandy Koufax.

The only thing that I have ever felt along the lines of discrimination of any sort has been a frequency of managers approaching the PU to ask if I can help on a call. I find it too often necessary to remind them that they need to talk to me, by rule. This has happened five times this year but not once when I have been PU have I been asked to help the BU on a call.

Other than that it is hard to tell if the attitude of the coach is because I am an umpire or if it any deeper because I am a FEMALE umpire.

I often hear comments along the lines of "Hey, it's a woman!" but nothing after the game starts. Once I umpired a LL interleague game with an umpire from the other league. One of the players from his league saw me before the game and said, "We have a girl umpire!" My partner immediately told him that there would be no more of that. I did think that was out of line because I am an anomaly and they should be able to be able to express surprise.

I have heard of some areas where it can be bad but perhaps people are a bit different here in the Northwest.

Rita