Thread: NSA Ruling?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
So you'll agree that many fans are woefully ignorant of the rules? I agree!

How could it make things worse by making the rules available for somebody, like a fan, who may have a passing interest in some aspect of the game? ... especially since you seem to be acknowledging that it's a problem. Wouldn't it be better if daddy was better educated?
You've stepped down quite a bit from claiming it would educate daddy to saying it wouldn't cause any harm.
I'm saying both! I've been saying both.

Quote:
Since there are ample rule books out there online, and since most of the rules essentially are the same, we have more than sufficient evidence this does not solve the uneducated fan (or even coach) problem. Hence, there is no benefit on this front from giving the rule book away.
"essentially, the same"

Boy, that sure would be helpful to look up the NSA substitution rules when curious about the ASA substitution rules.

Yeah, I guess if you wanted the definition of a fair ball, you may be right.

By the way, the AFA rulebook says the hands are part of the bat.

Quote:
Quote:
But it would be nice, at times, when I don't have the book in my back pocket, whenever I have a question, to be able to fire up the computer and check it out online. It would be a nice convenience even for an umpire or coach who actually does get a copy of the book after registering.

I've seen posts within this very forum where a poster will say something like: "I'm at work, I don't have my rulebook available, but I think that it says such-in-such ..."
Oh, but you CAN do this; you just have to PAY for it for ASA and NFHS. Join the NFHS Officials Association, you have online access. Buy the ASA CD, load it onto your computer, and you have computer access whenever you are near your computer. Load it onto your home computer and your work computer and you'll have it both places. I suppose now you'll argue that it is not there when you use the public library computers. Well, you're right. Yawn.
Aren't these additional charges over and above the hardcopy you get when registering with ASA?

Does a registered ASA umpire get the CD? He gets the hardcopy rulebook. If his perferred method of studying rules is more suited for online or computer study, he has to pay even more - is that what you're saying?

Quote:
Quote:
If you're convinced the softball world is better served by the manner in which the ASA and NFHS chooses to disseminate their system of rules, I can see I cannot convince you otherwise.

At least admit that it is highly more likely that their decision is more of a business decision than it is a softball decision. And, in my opinion, I don't even think it's a very good business decision.
Find where I said anything about this other than it being their right to make their own business decisions about how to distribute their property. You are the one making the high-sounding claims about the goodness to mankind.
Then why are we even having this debate, if all you're saying is that they have the right to distribute their rules in any manner they see fit? Where have I disagreed with that? Of course they have the RIGHT.

My argument isn't even that they should give away hardcopies of their rulebook for free. I've never even said that.

My point is much simpler: Their rules should also be online. Just that.

It's my opinion the sport would be better served, if only in a small way, by doing so. Certainly not harmful.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Last edited by David Emerling; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 10:04pm.