View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Seems like storms ripped through a good part of the country. Hope everyone came out ok.
Not big as tornadoes go (F1 on the Fujita scale) but still dangerous. The touchdown path was roughly 1/4 mile wide and 2 miles long - no reported injuries, but several houses significantly damaged, 200 or so trees downed and a bunch of racing sculls at the Vancouver Lake rowing club thoroughly trashed.

As Jeff said, any funnel cloud type cloud can be dangerous - even a large dust devil. I still vividly recall a summer afternoon in the late 80's when I was landing at the Carson City, NV airport - on short final when a 25 ft dia/75 ft high dust devil suddenly went dancing across the approach end of the runway right in front of me. Things got just a wee bit interesting for 10 or 15 seconds, but turned out OK - can't say the same for a couple of small planes that weren't tied down properly on the ramp, one of which was flipped completely over on it's back.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 12:08pm.