View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
But, like I said, if the info came from the table, a player, or the coach I would have acted. The info was coming from our leather lunged fan. My R heard him, looked up at him and ignored him. My reluctance wasn't with stopping before we erred, but rather stopping because of 'fan complaint'. Didn't know if this was a no-no.

I'm about 30 games into my first year. I think I have successfully moved from the "Unsure but trying like hell to Act Assured" to being pretty confident about being able to get things right, and manage a smoothly run game. It's just the curve balls that come at me sometimes that catch me TRULY UNSURE of how to proceed. In those spots I have been deferring, not wanting to trample on protocols, written and unwritten.

ps. Then I log in here, get edur-cated and next time it won't be a curve ball. Thanks all!

From previous responses it sounds like take any valid information you can from any source is the way to go. Now, I guess that the experience/aplomb would show with how you handle it. How you stop the process and get it right all the while keeping the respect for the team of officials intact.
I guess the question to ask in this case is "did you know, 100%, that something was goofy?" If yes, I would of blown things dead right away and got together with my partner and told him what I thought. Then as a crew make a decision as to how to start the half. Ultimately if we handle things professionally and comunicate with the coaches as to why we're changing things up, I believe we don't lose any crew integrity.

Maybe it's just me but as competitive (and furstrating) as coaches can be, I think that they are just looking for us to be fair and get things right.

Keep working hard, any goofy situations like this are a good learning experience...

cheers