View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnsto
Had a situation while watching a basketball game the other night. Was watching a game at my wifes school and when I do that I usually sit away from the home crowd and visiting crowd as I officiate and I dont care to listen to fans yelling especially when I know them personally. So I sat across the gym with my 3 year old and 6 year old. I had a fan right behind where my kids were sitting and she was hammering the refs and than finally she leaned forward and basically was yelling right above my daughters head. I usually dont say anything to fans as I ref and have learned to ignore comments by fans.

But this time I lost it a little, when she screamed right over my daughters head my 6 year old turns to me and asked why is the lady yelling and I calmly told her that some fans dont know how to just root for there teams. Well I said it loud enough that the lady heard it and she made the comment that I did not have to sit there. I just told here that no I did not but she did not have to yell especially when she has no idea what the rule is.

I felt bad about saying anything but it wasnt what she said, it was more the principal of her yelling over a 6 year old and 3 year old.

Is that wrong and should I just have ignored it. I watched my dad officate for many years and it never bothered me but I thought that what she did was inappropriate especially with young ones around.
What she was doing was inappropriate and you had every right to request her to behave herself. If she continued to be obnoxious, you would also have the right to ask an official of some sort to deal with it. That's even if you're not a ref.