View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Official sitting in stands

Had a situation while watching a basketball game the other night. Was watching a game at my wifes school and when I do that I usually sit away from the home crowd and visiting crowd as I officiate and I dont care to listen to fans yelling especially when I know them personally. So I sat across the gym with my 3 year old and 6 year old. I had a fan right behind where my kids were sitting and she was hammering the refs and than finally she leaned forward and basically was yelling right above my daughters head. I usually dont say anything to fans as I ref and have learned to ignore comments by fans.

But this time I lost it a little, when she screamed right over my daughters head my 6 year old turns to me and asked why is the lady yelling and I calmly told her that some fans dont know how to just root for there teams. Well I said it loud enough that the lady heard it and she made the comment that I did not have to sit there. I just told here that no I did not but she did not have to yell especially when she has no idea what the rule is.

I felt bad about saying anything but it wasnt what she said, it was more the principal of her yelling over a 6 year old and 3 year old.

Is that wrong and should I just have ignored it. I watched my dad officate for many years and it never bothered me but I thought that what she did was inappropriate especially with young ones around.