View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite_6
One more quick question. Where is the rules support for playing on?

We as officials have just allowed a play that put team B at a tremendous disadvantage. In my mind, a play that never happened since team B is required to have 5 players on the court in order to continue. This is our mistake, not team B's.

Without documented support for either action, I'd refer back to the intent of the rules which is to ensure that a player or team is not permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule.

If it is documented somewhere, I'd be happy and fine knowing that I am supported in playing on. I just haven't found that yet.
Here's a couple of case book examples in reference to having only 4 players on the court...

10.1.9 Following a charged T/O Team B is still with their coach on the sideline when the official sounds the whistle to indicate play will resume. Four players of B return to the court just in time to play defense as A1 attempts an unsuccessful 3-pointer. B1 rebounds and throws a long pass to B5 who enters the court just in time to catch the pass. Ruling A technical foul is charged to the B team for failing to have all players return to the court at approx. the same time.

So we can play with only 4 players when 5 are available. In this case resumption of play was used and penalty given for not coming to the floor or for coming to the floor in a advantageous position.

If for some reason we inbound the ball with 4 on one side without knowing the 5th can come on without penalty as long as they don't enter the court in a advantageous position or in a deceitful manner.

Case Book 10.3.3...A5 goes to the bench and remains there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only 4 players on the court......A5...sprints directly onto the court and catches up with the play. Ruling: No technical.....A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair POSITIONING advantage on the court.

Neither instance require a "DO OVER." We are looking for either a delay which would require the resumption of play or if the team was being deceitful. If they were then there's a penalty. If their not and they don't gain an advantage then they can just run onto the floor.

These case plays help substantiate the earlier posts that stated you can't wipe basket and do a do over with out it being a correctable error. The case book is clear that when a official errors it isn't correctable.