View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Had it
Boys 8th grade game tonight. I'm T and there is an inbound at midcourt. A1 throws the ball in the air to teammate A2 who jumps from A's frontcourt, catches the ball, lands in A's backcourt. I don't have any call since it's not a backcourt violation per 9.9.3, start my backcourt 10 count, we move on with life.
Good no call!

Quote:
Lost it
Same game, late in the 4th quarter with 1:02 showing on the clock. Team A inbounds in their frontcourt (no backcourt count) and immediately drives to the basket (no closely guarded situation so no 5 second count). Basket is good, Team B grabs the ball and my partner, who was L and is now T, starts his 5 second inbound count. The ball is inbounded and my partner switches to his 10 second backcourt count. He then notices the clock never started after Team A's throw in.

While I know we both hoarked this one (trust me, you don't want to know what my partner did, and what I allowed him to do, to "fix" this - I don't think it impacted the result of the game as Team B won by more than 10 points) I want to be sure of the remedy in case it ever happens again. Since the only definitive count we have is my partner's inbound count and his following backcourt count that is the only time we can take off the clock, correct (5-10-2)? Also, this is not a correctable error per 2-10-5 so the points scored still count? Is that correct?
Correct, correct, and correct.

Quote:
Again, I know we messed this one up but want to be sure it doesn't happen again so feedback/corrections are most appreciated.
You can't babysit the table, so if you have a high degree on confidence in them, then I think it's just a brain fart. (They will happen in your career.) If you and your P are suspicious of the table, take a quick peek to the clock when you can. If you have to, voice for them to start the clock.

I've had a suspicious table crew during a close game. When a TO is called near the end of the game, I go to them and remind them that at this point in the game, one of the most important things for them to do is to start and stop the clock properly.

So what did your P do?