View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Never really sit down and thought about this until now. Around my way in Indiana we have been very fortunate to see some really good players.

We have a tournament around the Christmas break called the " The Circle City Classic," that brings some really good teams from around the country to play some really good teams here in Indiana.

Here are a few of the many that I've had a chance to officiate...I'm sure I will misspell some names..

Dominic James, Marquette
AJ Ratliff, Indiana
Deonta Vaughn, Cincinnati
Mike Conley, Ohio State, NBA
Greg Oden, Ohio State, NBA
Matt Howard, Butler
Hansborough, UNC
Eric Gordon, Indiana
Amber Harris, Xavier
Tashea Phillips, Xavier

I'm sure there are more. These are the most recent. Mike Conley and Greg Oden played on the same High School team. I actually officiated 2 of their 3 losses in 2 years. One was a televised game between them and @ the time, Nationally ranked Arlington (Indianapolis).
Oh yeah...a nice list of local talent there Gimlet...What is amazing is that Ratliff, Vaughn, Oden, Conley and Gordon (add McRoberts from Duke)....All those guys came from Indy and played each others schools 1-3 times a year....A lot of talent has come out of Central Indy the past few years...

In my first year I did an AAU/Superhoops tourney and it was the first time I had kids really taller than me as I had gotten my start in a rec league doing 3-8 graders. My partner was late and I had to start the game by myself...I was like I was so SCARED!

Two Cs come to the center circle for the toss, one is about 6'-9" the other about 6'6". The 6'9" kid was Greg Oden in the 8th grade!

He and Conley were playing that day but at that time I didn't realize who Oden was....I knew his school and I knew they had a BIG FELLA, as you heard some stories about him but I'd not seen him play yet. I don't remember much from that game as I was just trying not to puke!