View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
I believe in this case whether you are the R or U, if you have definite knowledge that you're about to give the ball to the wrong team, you need to stop the game and share that information with your partner. I think sometimes we officials get to hung up on "The R must be right... so I'll defer" but that's not what we are out there to do. My assigner says "Do what is best for the game..." and in this case, above is what I would of done.

In our games we have one scorebook at the table and before we leave the court, we confirm who'll have the arrow to start the half and we have the scorer write down the color of the team whose getting it to start the half right on the top of the score sheet.

My 2 cents...
But, like I said, if the info came from the table, a player, or the coach I would have acted. The info was coming from our leather lunged fan. My R heard him, looked up at him and ignored him. My reluctance wasn't with stopping before we erred, but rather stopping because of 'fan complaint'. Didn't know if this was a no-no.

I'm about 30 games into my first year. I think I have successfully moved from the "Unsure but trying like hell to Act Assured" to being pretty confident about being able to get things right, and manage a smoothly run game. It's just the curve balls that come at me sometimes that catch me TRULY UNSURE of how to proceed. In those spots I have been deferring, not wanting to trample on protocols, written and unwritten.

ps. Then I log in here, get edur-cated and next time it won't be a curve ball. Thanks all!

From previous responses it sounds like take any valid information you can from any source is the way to go. Now, I guess that the experience/aplomb would show with how you handle it. How you stop the process and get it right all the while keeping the respect for the team of officials intact.