View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite_6
I don't know how I happened upon this old thread, but it raised a question in my mind. Rule 3.1 says that you cannot play with only 4 players when a substitute is available for a DQ'd player. Once that official notified the coach that his player was DQ'd, he became bench personnel. While this is not a correctable error, haven't we unnecessarily put Team B at a disadvantage by not allowing them their additional rebounder? If I'm team B, I'd rather give team A another opportunity to make their first free throw than give them the ball back for an opportunity of a 2 or 3 point play.

I also find it difficult to take away points if team A made the first free throw, as the sub would have had no impact on that shot.

Before reading this thread, I might have left a free throw on the board for a made situation... but performed a 'do over' for a miss. Is it really the 'official' interpretation that we are to 'play on' in federation rules?

"Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation"
It is appropriate to play on, and hopefully the official waiting on the sub is going to blow the play dead prior to a rebound.

There is no rules support for awarding a "do over" for a miss.