View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

QF1Y: Leather Lunged fan is right! ... and we let it go.

How about this one.

Boys JV game, Team B parent is loud from the tip about this and that. Questioning calls, etc. Not a big problem at all, just very 'present'.

Just prior to half time, there is a held ball situation with 1.2 seconds left. Ball goes to Team A, they make a try... half time.

Partner goes to the table, and has the arrow switched... we head to our sanctuary... all is good.

We come out, ready to administer throw-in at the division line. We both (and the table) have it going... to Team A!

Team A parent is on it and vocal and loud, but players are in position, my partner (administering throw in) looks up upon hearing, but moves confidently. I knew immediately that the fan was right, but deferred how we would handle this to my R.

Ball inbounded, a few seconds later ball is out-of-bounds. I caucus with partner and say, "hey I think we got that wrong". Too late, not correctable. Partner says he was confident at the time, because he had definitely switched the arrow, and on we play. ps--turns out table had NOT changed the arrow for held ball with 1.2 seconds. I guess that I had made the same mistake at that point - not switching my possession marker.

Thinking back, if a player or coach had raised the point, I would totally have been more assertive about stopping play and getting it right. I guess I was reluctant to because it was from the stands.

I guess I'm looking for that veteran flavor here about responding to information from the stands. Slippery slope? Find help wherever you can find it? What do you folks have for me here?

Thanks.