View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

First time for everything

I had two 7th grade games last night and was partnered with an older gentleman who had coached high school for many years but was in his first year officiating. While his rules interpretations and whistle were ok his mechanics needed work (whose didn't when they started).

The girls game was a disaster. Sloppy play and sloppy officiating from us both as I'm trying to watch my area and him at the same time (he didn't blow the whistle a couple of times on out-of-bounds on his line and I had to). Add to the fact that our clock operator was out to lunch (failed to start/stop the clock twice, had to remind him to reset the fouls indicated at the half, etc.) - well, you've all been there. Needless to say I wasn't looking forward to the boy's game. Remembering good advice from this forum and my years preaching performance management at work I asked him to concentrate on a couple of things only and then watched to see how things developed.

Then something funny happened. We came out for the boy's game and he elevated his game. The mechanics were still sloppy but I could see him making the effort to incorporate what we had discussed. The game couldn't have been smoother and, for the first time this season, I was in the "zone" for the whole game seeing everything clearly and making good calls. I say it was funny because I've never had the experience of helping elevate someone's game. I've tried in the past but inevitably my game goes south instead. That was a neat feeling.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you all as you are all contributors to my improvement. I make a habit of reading the forum regularly, but especially on game days, and the advice and support have been very beneficial to me. Thanks to all.

Oh, and to top yesterday off I got my first varsity assignment. It was a really good day.