View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Hate this one. I would recommend never using this.

This is giving the coach permission to say to your partner next time he's close, "Hey, your partner says you missed one over there, what the hell are you guys watching?!?"

A simple, "He's got a much better angle, coach," or, "I was officiating these players here. You can ask him when he's over here, coach," work very well.
Everyone has their own style. Remember, I'd only use that IF there was substantial contact and believe something probably should have been called. When that happens, we are all responsible. And that does happen at every level. Sometimes we have no explanation just like players miss wide-open layins. It's OK to admit it.

I don't like to say "he had a better angle/look" or "you'll have to ask him", because on substantial contact, WE need to have some whistle. I feel that those kinds of remarks can be construed as "he missed it and I'm not getting involved". I'd rather remain completely silent on those occasions than go there. I don't feel comfortable with that; it feels like a U2 move. But I do understand that many do this, and I have no issue with it. It's not wrong.

You can make the argument that the coach will then go after the guy. My experience has been that when I make a statement like that, it ends there, because the coach knows he was heard, and it is acknowledged that WE just didn't have a whistle. Cannot do it more than once or twice in a game, but if more than that is missed, you just have to be aggressive out of your area and take care of business, or go silent.