View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am only going to talk to a coach when the ball is clearly dead or when I have a real opportunity. I am not talking to a coach about a play during live ball for the most part.

If the call was clearly not in my area or I did not get a good look at it, I will ask the coach to ask the official that was in the best position to make the call. And I will tell them I cannot comment on something I was not looking at or tell them what I was focused on.

Also I just explain what I saw if I feel the coach really is asking, not just commenting. For example I will not respond if a coach says, "That has got to be a foul."

I will admit that I have gone back and forth as to what I actually do and I have learned some things work and others do not work. And most of all how you deal with coaches is very personal and can change from one game to another.

Peace
Yup, I hear you. I was talking to a varsity boys coach on Saturday night while coming up as the trail and all of a sudden one of his defenders slid over and blocked the point guard coming up the floor. I had to grab for my whistle, shove it in my mouth, and call the foul.

I should've waited for the dead ball to chat.