View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see it really hard to work a lower level HS game then go to a varsity contest. The differences at the HS level are not so drastic that you cannot overcome the differences. The bottom line is the kids at lower level HS games usually are just not as coordinated yet and still are growing into their bodies and abilities. So you get a little more sloppy play. At the varsity level you usually have less of those players.

Now working from the JH level to HS can be a little adjustment, which is why many officials stop working those games when they get to a certain point in their careers. I do not know if there is a magic formula to tell you. Just understand that at the varsity level there is more scrutiny to everyone. If you make a mistake at that level it is magnified. When you make mistakes at the lower levels usually many might not even realize it and no one will remember it much after it took place. In other words there is no tape to run you over the coals as they could and will during a lower level game.

I guess the main thing is keep the levels in perspective and realize that lower level games the players, coaches and fans are likely still learning the game.
Do your best to give them a game, but do not get overly upset when you make mistakes. Varsity games are when you are expected to be at your best, despite the "every game is important" claims you will hear.

Peace