View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

More assistants than subs

VB game Friday night. Visiting team has 10 players - 5 subs on bench and 6 assistant coaches. From the tip they were complaining on every whistle. I know the head coach who is also an official. I've worked games with him. Anyway - about 2 minutes into the game I whistle and OOB right in front of the bench. While waiting for teams to get into place I quietly turned and told him that I would listen to him but had better not hear another chirp from bench personnel or it would be one T for every open mouth. He nodded and put the stop sign out to AC.

As teams were coming out after half each of the AC came to me and apologized. One, and older gentleman put his arm around me and said that the HC had informed them that they needed to be quiet - it was not the officials fault that his team couldn't shoot or handle the ball - that it was their job to teach them.

Every once in awhile you get a really good night! This is one case where it was nice the HC was also an official and understood where I was coming from.