Thread: NSA Ruling?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I wrote a response last night, but then lost my connection. Hopefully, I'll write it as clearly as I did last night...

Bear in mind that I all call is ASA, and I have no idea how much focus the NSA devotes to bats, nor do I have any idea as to how NSA instructs their umpires to handle this situation.

I think an umpire should have an easy time declaring a bat as having been altered if it's being heated while not in use, and a simple high school chemistry class would easily defend your argument. When any object is heated, the chemical bonds are lengthened, allowing for rigid objects to become more flexible and malleable. Thus, a bat in a heated state would have more "pop" than a bat in a cooler state. This is why some manufacturers state that certain bats should not be used below a certain outdoor temperature due to the increased risk that they will crack.

However, the good Doctor is correct, especially in the case of aluminum bats. Aluminum has a much higher heat transference factor, which means the energy (heat) transfers out a lot faster than other materials. The batter would have to heat the bat - a LOT - then, s/he would have to practically run to the batter's box and take the first pitch for the heat on the bat to have any effect.

Regardless, I think you can easily make the argument that a player heating a bat beyond reason (other than keeping it under a towel or covered with Pedro Cerrano's golf club covers) is an example of altering a bat. Will it make a difference in the bat's performance in the end? Maybe, maybe not. Would that matter? Not to me. Toss the bat and have a little chat with the coach.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.