View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was one of the people for the obstruction call. I hate it when these discussions happen when I am camping away from my computer.

It is true that from a picture it is hard to know if the runner has 'altered her path'.

What you can tell from the picture is that the defensive player is blocking the front part of the bag and she is not in possession of the ball.

I would call obstruction and award the runner 3B if she didn't reach it safely.

Putting your hand out to signal DDB and letting everyone know that you saw the play is similar to the safe when there is a crash w/ nothing to call. It lets coaches and players know that you are seeing what is happening and that you are in the game.

I am sure that the obstruction 'call' will lead to nothing, but getting in the habit of calling the obstruction when you see it will lead to a good habit and less of reaction time when it is necc. to call it and make it an award.

I also agree that the umpire in the shot needs to have his lid in his Left hand and not on his head. That was the primary point to my original post, which was hijacked to a discussion on OBS.