Thread: NSA Ruling?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't do NSA, but I know they have their rule book online. The preamble to Rule 3 states:

"An altered bat is considered altered when the physical structure of the legal bat has been changed in any way, or when an illegal or non approved bat has been made up in such a way as to appear to be a legal bat. Examples of altering a bat are, but not limited to the following: Painting a bat, replacing the handle, or shaving the handle or barrel or the taper changed in any way. Such as by sandpapering or applying a solvent to the surface such as fingernail polish remover or by any other means. Removing or replacing the plug or changed in any way other than factory repairs. Had the knob removed/ replaced or changed in any way or had anything removed or added to the inside or outside of the bat other than the legal way to tape the bat the specified and appropriate place as described in the NSA Rule Book."

I would consider a heated bat to be altered IMO.

Earlier in the preamble, it states that NSA apparently will impose a five-year suspension without any right of appeal for anyone who refuses to allow an NSA representative to inspect a suspected altered bat or ball. If a bat or ball is determined to be altered, it would lead to a two to five year suspension for a first-time offender.