View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I disagree. It is ultimately the coach's fault for sending greater than 5 players onto the court. We can use preventative officiating, but it's not our fault if we do not prevent this situation.

Secondly, I would recommend that there are 5 players on each team on the court, and not 10 in total as you suggest. What if A somehow had 6 players and B had 4? If the official has a brain fart, and doesn't notice this oddity, he will conclude that we may proceed as there are 10 players on the court.
I disagree with your disagreement. First of all, the coach is never going to send six players onto the court. It'll be some player who didn't come off when he was supposed to, or some kid that went back on after a TO when he wasn't supposed to. So yeah, it's a team screw-up when it happens. But...

This is 100% preventable every time if we do our job properly. And I say that even after I let it happen once this year (for the first time in about 5 years).

As for there being 6 and 4...it ain't never gonna happen, and it ain't worth worrying about. Count to 10 by 2's and get on with it.