View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury
I am in my first year and my biggest hurdle seems to be understanding a rule that (to me) seems inherently illogical.

For example: A player can catch their own errant shot that does not hit the rim, backboard, or another player and stays in field of play. This is not a travel.
My brain: Uh... but the player just "passed it to themselves" and re-established ball control on the other side of the court without dribbling.
Rules Book: Not a pass. This is a loss of team control and team control ends when the ball is released on a shot attempt.

I'm sure there are many more...

So... yeah... you're not alone.
PS - the interesting thing about rules such as this is....you never knew it, now you do....and sooner or later you'll be in a game and will see it and probably be the only one in the gym knowing a NO call is the RIGHT call! And eveyone else will scream and yell.....and you'll just smile inside.

That's one of the intangibles that makes this job fun! Like many, I have played and coached for yrs. But, until I started reading the rules....I didn't know what I didn't know. There's a lot - but do your best, continue to learn and ask questions, practice, watch sr officials in games when possible, go to camps if you can....blah, blah, blah, etc.