View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Mike (and I know I'm 'preachin' to the choir' here)...no matter how anyone looks at it (pro or con), a few indisputable facts remain: (1) the concept of eligible numbers was added to all rule codes because the rulesmakers saw an unfair offensive advantage in having the defense unsure of who might be eligible to touch a legal forward pass on any play. (2) the numbering exception was added to the legal numbering rule to allow more 'skill' players (read 'fast') to set up on the line for punt coverage, and for punt coverage only. That's why it's allowed only when the offense sets or shifts into a scrimmage kick formation. [Mike...I don't have my copy of "Anatomy of the Game" with me. Maybe you could look up when the concept of eligible numbers and the numbering exception were added and what the precise rationale was for these changes.]

The NCAA apparently contemplated the use of something similar to the A11 and added to the definition of scrimmage kick formation the additional restriction that it can only be used when it is "...obvious that a kick might be attempted." That pretty much outlaws the use of the A11 on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd downs. The Federation obviously contemplated no such thing. Just set your QB back at least 7 yards and the A11 is legal, provided all other legal formation requiremnents are met.

The question that the Federation will need to answer if the A11 begins to propagate across the country is whether or not the use of all eligible numbers by linemen violates the principle that prompted the institution of the two rules listed above. If so, they may indeed choose to change the rule. However, that's not our (officials') choice. It is solely in the province of the Federation. Unless or until they make such a change, we'll need to adjust accordingly.

Both the NCAA and Fed rule codes are based on a simple foundation of making the game equitable for both the offense and defense. Their role is not to equalize the playing field for big, fast teams against small, slow teams. That's the province of the schedule makers.