View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Funny how that happens...

I havent given a T to a coach yet this year after I gave 3 to one head coach by half time last year. Story below. Word does get around. Make sure they are good ones--ie the coach earned them. Make sure you arent doing them just to prove a point or to establish a rep. But dont be afraid to give them. A T should be just like a travel--its there, you are just pointing out that it occurred.

This season I have been able to resolve all coach issues with a simple comment. And I know part of it is cause they know I will hold them to their code of coduct and the rules and I will run them.

I had a coach chirp after a call a few games ago, wanting an explanation (which is fine) but he was a bit more animated than I think is appropriate. First opportunity I went and explained what I had ("coach, i saw the push off, but i had the block first" or something like that). A play later we were shooting freethrows and he was still asking about hte prior play, looking a little agitated. I went over, with a smile, and said "coach, you asked for an explanation, i gave you one, lets move on. i dont want any more theatrics, ok?" gave him a smile and a look of seriousness, just as nice as could be. worked great. didnt hear a word out of him again that game. he did, respectfully, ask for an explanation later in the game and he got one.

Here is the story: notoriously difficult boys coach is doing his normal thing--stormiing up and down and fussing about all the calls. early in quarter 1 he says "that was a horrible call!" talking to me about my partner's call (typical coach move). i was trail on his side and i say "coach, i think thats enough." he waves me off and says "you guys are terrible." Tweet. That was T number 1. I go report it. I have my partner advise to the assistant that head coach has lost the box. So then middle of quarter 2 and head coach is up. I'm trail. I swing to his side when possible and say "coach, you gotta sit down," he ignores me. [yes, i could have just T'd him there]. I say again "you gotta sit down". He storms off down the baseline and says "I'm not listening to you." Tweet. There is the 2nd one. Ok, maybe I over did it but I also gave a "eject" by pointing to the sky. I went to report (should have let my partner report, perhaps, but the result would be the same). As I am at the table calmly reporting: "T, white head coach, that is the second, he is ejected, count it as a team foul.." the head coach walks between me and the table as I am reporting and says "you guys are terrible!" (apparently his favorite quote). Tweet, that's number 3 (he's bench personnell, so it went indirectly against the assistant who is now head coach by virtue of me tossing the coach). That was all before the half.