View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In fact, I had this exact situation in a game earlier this year. Team A scored and Team B gathered the ball and stepped OOB. I was the new Trail (tableside). My partner was the new lead (also tableside as it was 3-man and we had a C).

B1 throws the ball into the court, but B2 misses it and it bounces TWICE in the court and then goes OOB untouched on the sideline next to the C. There is a whistle which I assume is from the C, but he just looked at me, when the Trail came running in and said that the coach of Team B requested a time-out and he was late granting it. This situation made us look silly and almost caused the coach of Team A to take a T. After the game in the lockerroom my partner confessed that he had spat his whistle out of his mouth while attempting to blow it. That is what caused the severe delay. We had a laugh about it.
I was going to ask you about this, because I've always been taught in this type of situation to grant the timeout. Obviously it looked terrible in your situation because there was such a delay...

The better scenario is after a made basket by B, Coach B requests a TO and I see this request and wish to grant it, but in the time between when I register the request and when I start blowing my whistle, A gathers the ball. In your reading, I shouldn't grant the TO, correct? This is one I've always been taught, and always have, granted. Same in a "scrum heading to a held ball" or a trap with violation or foul type of scenario. If the request came before and as an official I just didn't process fast enough, I should grant the TO.

Interested in your and others' thoughts?