View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

JimP

Correctly or incorrectly, the fans, media, coaches, players, and even some officials have cried out that incorrect calls in sports are hurting the teams playing the game. Only the major sports were in a position to try to do something about it.

Is instant replay the answer? It has certainly done a lot to correct questionable calls made on the field. But there is flaw in the system. It still relies upone a human being to review the play and people will make mistakes even with the aid of technology. We can all make mistakes especially when we feel rushed to make a decision. I am sure the booth official feels a certain amount of pressure to get the call correct in a timely manner. If the on field officials can get miss a call after a lenghty discussion, we can't expect the booth to get 100% of calls correct either.

As an official, I know I've made mistakes in games even after a lengthy conference because I've simply forgotten to take something under consideration.

Bottom line is that even the booth officials can make mistakes because they are human.