Thread: traveling?
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlocker
I'm not trying to inject opinion. If I am, sorry.

My question is: why would I consider A1 to be rising to his feet, when he started with a pivot foot?
When you said that the player should be able to do such and such, I took that as your opinion.

What you have to learn is that you must follow the defined concepts when officiating. These definitions form the heart of play calling.

You are mistaken that the player "started with a pivot foot." In fact, he does not have a pivot in this situation because he is by definition deemed to be on the floor since he gained control of the ball while touching the floor with something other than a hand or foot. Blindzebra just wrote this as well.

If you look in the NCAA rulebook for how a pivot is established, you will see that it only pertains to a player who is standing upright on his feet. When a player gains control while on the floor he is governed by a specific ruling. I posted that ruling for you already in this thread. The most important point to take from that is what JAR wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
He started with one knee on the ground and one foot. When he rose to his feet, it was traveling.