View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Pump fake, B1 goes up and slaps the backboard unecessarily. If there's no shot, there's no block attempt.

2nd half, same game, A1 drives baseline, reverse layup. B1 flies in and slaps the other side of the backboard. Second T.
Nice! I bet you are overjoyed when players do dumb stuff like this. (Not!) Its like when you administer the ball in a low level game and a 6th guy just runs on the court into the action. What can you do. Ring it up, look at the coach, give em the "you know I gotta do it..." look, and even the coach nods their head.

Second one is a great T.

First one might be worth some discussion, just for illustration of course (Obviously it is a good T, not criticizing, just noting for discussion). Your call might even be a good example of 10-3-5(a) where he is trying to hit the board not just as a failed block but to hinder the subsequent shot. As noted in the rules, slapping the board when a try is not in flight is not an automatic T unless it deserves to be penalized under 10-3-5(a) or 10-3-7 (as detailed in the note to caseplay 10.3.5). Sounds like the player in your case on the first board slap was showing off or trying to hinder the upcoming shot, which is a good T either way.

Again, not criticizing you, simply noting for discussion so that newbies here dont think all board slaps are Ts. In fact, I hope that people take from this thread that a good hard board slap can be a real easy T--under 10-3-7, as well as under 10-3-5(a) or (b).

If you have good leapers in an upcoming game and expect some serious shot blocking, younger guys might want to pregame this rule.

Sorry you got two of those in one game. Yikes.

Last edited by cdaref; Sun Dec 30, 2007 at 06:49am.