View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
What do you think of my solution in post #13?
A few thoughts (not necessarily comprising a cohesive argument):

Simply adding an exception doesn't tell us how to properly administer this. It needs to specify exactly what you do with double and simultaneous fouls, and their POI, when combined with other fouls. Are they ignored? Are they enforced first? Are they enforced immediately? Possibly all those options equate to the same thing.

What if you have a series of fouls consisting entirely of simultaneous and double fouls? For instance, A1 fouls B1 as B2 fouls A2 (a simultaneous foul), following which B2 and A2 fight. A little far-fetched as simultaneous fouls are so rarely called, but the rules provide for them and 8-7 needs to handle the possibility.

Honestly, I hesitate to mess with 8-7 for the simple reason that many HS officials struggle with administering complex foul situations. However, most will get it basically right if you can teach them to "penalize the fouls in the order they occurred." If we complicate this rule, I hate to think what would happen.

But if we are going to mess with it, then why not go further. It really is incomplete, and incorrect, as it stands. For example, if I call a common foul (team not in the bonus) followed by a T, I don't actually administer the penalties in the order they occur. First, I report both fouls together (part of the penalty for a foul is the charging of a personal and team foul for each). If, because of the sum total of all fouls committed during the sequence, a player is disqualified, I have him replaced before continuing (in a scenario where a player is otherwise entitled to shoot free throws, he may still be disqualified, and a replacement required, because of a subsequent foul in the series -- that's hardly administering in the order the fouls occurred). Then I skip the remainder of the penalty for the common foul, the throw-in, altogether (I'm not even sure that's in the rules; it's just how we do it). Finally I administer the remainder of the penalty for the T, complete with throw-in. We'd say that's correct by 8-7; but really that's not what 8-7 says at all.

So if we're going to tweak 8-7, let's give it a complete overhaul and bring it into line with reality. Change it to say something like: When more than one foul is to be administered, the official(s) shall:
a. Report all fouls in the order they occurred.
b. Require disqualified players to be replaced.
c. Administer any free throws in the order the fouls occurred.
d. Resume play with the administration of the last foul that is not a double personal, double technical, or simultaneous foul, otherwise it shall resume from the point of interruption.