View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
A1 is fouled and A is in the double bonus. After the play, A2 and B2 fight. Proper administration?

A2 and B2 are charged with flagrant technicals and disqualified. Then the game proceeds with A1 shooting the double bonus with players on the lane.

If we waited until after the fouls were administered in order to apply POI, we'd clear the lane and then have a POI after the 2nd free throw.
If you read 4-36-2 the way I've been reading it, there is no resolution for POI in this situation. They would need to add in something about playing on after a made or missed free throw, or something like that to cover this situation.

However, setting that aside for the moment, I don't agree that you'd shoot the free throws with the lane cleared. Whether or not to clear the lane (NFHS 8-1-3) is always a forward looking decision, based on whether the ball will be dead after shooting the free throws. There is nothing in the penalty for a double technical that makes the ball dead. Logically, if not exactly by rule, the POI would be to carry on from the end of the free throws.

I can see the disconnect in the rules over this. What changes would fix this?
  • Nevada suggested ammending 8-7 to except double fouls and double technicals.
  • I would prefer adding a fourth provision to 4-36-2 that says something like: For double personal or double technical fouls, when there are other personal and/or technical fouls involved, enforce all other penalties, in the order the fouls occurred, as if the double personal/technical had not occurred.
  • Perhaps 8-6 would need a little tweaking as well?
Any others?