View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury
As usual, right there under my nose... or was my thumb covering that part of the page...

Anyway, somebody want to indulge in some Age of Reason thinking and give this a shot:

Just for grins, what is the reasoning in creating a rule that defines a pass attempt as a different type of ball release rather than a shot attempt?

It seems to me that "deliberately releasing the ball" is "deliberately releasing the ball", regardless if it goes toward the basket or towards another player?

And by deliberate, I mean not to be confused with an "attempt at possession" (fumble), which is not a "deliberate release of the ball"... or is it?

"Because the Rules Book says so, Coach," seems such a cop-out.

Thanks !
Your fundamental assumption is incorrect. A poor pass does not equate to a travel. It may be an illegal dribble, but it certainly is not a travel.

As someone else said, if the ball is allowed to strike the floor, then this action becomes a dribble. Now the legality depends upon whether the player had previously dribbled. If so, then an illegal (double) dribble violation is warranted. If not, then the play is legal.

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling. RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4)

Lastly the difference between releasing a pass and a try for goal is that while both end player control, the try also ends team control while the passing action does not. This is because the intent of a pass is to keep control of the ball with that team, while the intent of a try is score and thus give the other team a turn with the ball or if unsuccessful the rebound is up for grabs.