View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw, this thread is deja vu all over again.

Five Second Count Screen

Also btw, in that thread an un-named miscreant who is also an IAABO rules interpreter for his board disagrees with the IAABO rules interpreter of your board. He states that the count should continue. And both IAABO rules interpreters are in the same state too.

It might be a good idea for someone to get a definitive answer on this from your head IAABO interpreter/poobah (not that his interpretation is valid for the rest of us anyway).
Indeed it is. But it is another thread from 2004, ( Closely Guarded ?) not the one you cite from a few weeks ago, where your un-named guy made his case.

I went back to the 2004 thread and found I was making the same case as a few other officials. We were in the minority then...and still are. That is OK. I have seen other examples where the minority was eventually proven right by a formal NFHS ruling.

Another regular contributor here said then, "Just another example of a rule that needs clarifying." Truer words were never spoken.

The NFHS has been raising the issue of officiating consistency. Yet this play shows just how hard it is to accomplish. If the rules are going to be as murky as this...and we are left to argue amongst ourselves what is the proper rule to apply to a scenario that happens several times a game...then the Fed needs to quickly and easily address these conflicts in a clear, no-nonsense way.