View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Would it be strange if I went to my assignor and told him I not in a big hurry to get a complete Varsity schedule?
I receive Varsity games about 1/4 of the time now . The other 3/4ths I do the Frosh/Jv circuit. The next step in my schedule seems to be about 50% of my games will be Varsity.The frosh/JV games have really SLOWED down for me and its kinda cool. Some of the VArsity games are still moving pretty fast for me, but I am holding my own.
I don't want to end up being a half-a$$ Varsity ref. There are things that I need to continue working on and I believe I can better work on them at the lower levels.
For example my big 3 things to work on include
1. Adv/Dis - letting incidential contact go,especially as Trail. Still getting comfortable with the "late" whistle
2. Game awareness-things like AP,shot clock awareness, things of that sort
3. Working with the coaches-I am comfortable with rewarding coaches for their bad behavior. I give T's. I am also pretty comfortable with working with them also. I just think I need a little more work in talking them off the ledge,also just communicating with them in general.

SO is it okay to tell my assignor I like my schedule how it is or would that be considered a little strange ?
Your desire to improve gradually and not take on more than you are ready for is refreshing. Most people push themselves too fast early in their careers and simply are not ready for the situations in which they land. I've seen quite a few newer officials damaged by such failures and some even quit shortly thereafter. This is not a positive for the officiating community.

I would trust your assignor to schedule you appropriately. I would hope that he will keep you in a comfort zone with the occasional challenge. That challenge could be putting you on a tough high level game or on a low level game with a very inexperienced partner so that you have to lead.
Overall, don't rush your development and keep working hard on the assignments that you are given. Most assignors know what they are doing.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Dec 26, 2007 at 11:40pm.