View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 03:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Junior Varsity Vs. Varsity Schedule

We have four classifciations on our local board, all, for the most part, based on peer ratings, and rankings: first year probation; junior varsity, meaning an all junior varsity schedule; "split" schedule, meaning both varsity, and junior varsity games; and "full" varsity, meaning all varsity assignments. The number of games you get within each classification is also based, for the most part, on peer ratings and rankings.

For many years now, I've been "full" varsity, and based on my ratings and rankings, in the lower portion of the "full" varsity classification, I get two or three varsity assignments each week. In my final couple of seasons of the "split" classification, based on my ratings and ranking, I was in the uppermost portion of the "split" classification rankings, and I was workng four or five nights a week, about 20% varsity, and about 80% junior varsity.

Now, with my "full" varsity schedule, sitting home, or working Catholic school middle school games, four or five nights a week, I wonder if it would be better to be working a "split" schedule, and being "busier" on the high school level. Yes, the games are better on the varsity level. Yes, the pay is better on the varsity level. Yes, the game times are better on the varsity level, 7:00 p.m. for varsity, versus 5:30 p.m. for junior varsity, making it tough to get out of work, and fight the rush hour traffic, for a junior varsity game. But now that I'm an empty nester, it may be nice to be doing high school games five nights a week.

Bottom line, even after twenty-seven years, I continue to try to improve, by studying the rules and mechanics, by going to various clinics and camps, and by observing the best officials on our local board. Maybe, I can eventually improve my peer ratings, and ranking, so that I'm working three or four varsity games a week.