Thread: Young Officials
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Younger officials need to learn early that they are not required to respond to a coach - that coaches will try and intimidate them. When that happens officials can become flustered and "terminology" can fail them even if they know proper terminology and had the call right in the first place. You can take a lot of "talk" in your ear - but when you start conversing with a coach things can go down the tubes and escalate pretty quickly.
I agree with this...sometimes not responding is best. You hear them but you may be focused on the action... if it persists to the point of a dead ball and you are confronted...then you might respond.

I've found that after a few plays have happened and they are still barking...I might ask them what they have/what the problem is? ...they'll tell me...I'll say "Which # are we talking about?"....they might say the number or they might not actually know or forgot (which makes things easier). The easy difuser is "OK...I'll keep an eye on it down there/coach..." and walk away. Rather than just saying "I have nothing there...." or something like that...

I've found dealing with coaches is a lot like being in sales...You have to allow your prospect/client/coach feel like they are in control when you have conversation...Stating "OK...I'll keep an eye on it coach" acknowledges that you have heard their specific issue. Doesn't mean it's happening and it doesn't mean it's not happening but at least he feels like he got to have his say and he at least feels like you are watching.

Now the second conversation might be A LOT different if you are still missing/not callling it for whatever reason...