View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 04:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I'm doing a boys frosh game tonight with a good partner. Visitor's down by double digits the whole game, close to within 3 in the last 2 minutes. Visitor's now down about six and B1 (visitor) fouls A1 (home) HARD...really hard. I call an intentional. I get my partner's eye and he's got the players (no situation occurring yet). I turn around to report the foul and two players get into a shoving match and some talking to each other. My partner yells, "You both need to go sit down and cool off!" After they do and the coaches sub for them, I have a short conference with my partner. I asked if he had thrown them out or what...and he said that he just told them to sit down! Didn't really know how to handle that...I agreed with his reasoning...under a minute left and they just needed to cool off. However, we probably should've at least had double T's and moved on. I just went with what he said as he saw the incident, I did not. Shot the FT's with the lane cleared and gave the home team the ball at the spot nearest to the foul. (I was the R, by the way.) Should we have gone with the double T's (when I didn't see what happened) or is it within our authority to act as we did. The coaches seemed to appreciate the gesture, but I have a feeling in my gut that we didn't handle it correctly by the book. Our intentions were correct, but probably not within our authority. What do you guys think?
Exact same situation, but in football...

An officiating association near me did this in a playoff game. They told a player to "cool down" and sent him off. There is no rule to permit an official to do this, as the situation is directly covered by rule. The explanation given was "that's how we do it here."

My personal opinion is to issue the proper penalty. After hearing the story and how other officials were amazed at such behavoir is permitted to take place, it is more clear to than ever that you should get together with the calling official and tell him that he cannot, by rule, do what he did, and urge him to issue a double technical foul. Although you cannot issue the double T, because you did not see the action, you can have a discussion with him before the game continues.