Thread: Young Officials
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
I don't think it's a newer officials judgment in many cases, it's a newer persons ability to quickly process what they've seen, or didn't see, and make a split second decision to take action or not. I can sit in the stands and call one heck of a game, however, it's different when ten 16-17 year old kids are flying around the court and you have potentially five different calls you can make every single trip down the floor.
I agree with Dan. When a new a guy or new face is on the floor the coach will begin to go directly to that official asking for calls and try to influence the officials judgment. I'm fairly new to officiating but have moved up the ladder pretty quick. I'm 22 yrs old and in 5th season of high school ball and my 3rd season of doing NCAA D3 and Junior College mens working in 5 conferences. The hardest thing for that i experienced was dealing with coaches. I know my judgment is good, but when coaches see a young face out there as young as there players, they will question you. I knew I was right on my calls and yes some I could have passed on as we all have those, but it was hard for me to deal with a loud college coach in my ear. They have more knowledge of the game than high school coaches from my experience so I have to give them a more definitive answer. That was hard for me since some of all of these coaches are old enough to be dad and some cases my grandfather. Some even had kids that were and are as old as me. It's not so much judgment it's more communication.

When I see new officials work i tell them to get into the book and use the book terminology when dealing with coaches. If you know terminology, I feel it shows the coach you have an understanding and know the rules of the game and how they are applied in situations. Even at the high school level terminology will make a young official credible. Most high school coaches from my experience don't have an understanding of the rules like we do. If we use terminology, the coach will most likely agree because he or she doesn't understand. Some might understand what your saying, but i believe if we know the terminology and apply properly when communicating it makes a young official credible as well it builds the confidence of the official.
I practice talking to coaches and using the terminology in the mirror. Seems crazy but it works. This is my opinion. I hope it helps.

Tommy