View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: For the Fed types who may wonder what TxMike meant by the 'numbering issue,' the NCAA recognizes a scrimmage kick formation (and the numbering exception that goes along with it) only when it's "...obvious that a kick might be attempted." Therefore, in general this offense couldn't be used on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd downs in NCAA.

Mike, I watched the YouTube video provided by the coach and, even though you could not read the numbers, I also saw mugwumps on just about every play. I feel that their strategy is to bring them as close to the LOS as the officials will let them just to add to the uncertainty of who's eligible.
Another point about the NCAA is that once the center is over the ball, and the numbering exception has been recognized ie numbers 45 and 43 being in what would be normal guard positions, and 32 and 87 being in the tackle positions and "covered" by the players on the end of the line, any shift that "exposes" any of these players results in an illegal formation...once they are part of the exception (not having 5 plyers numbered 50-79), they remain ineligible....