Thread: NCAA rulebook
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
Guys, I need some fast help. Turns out the American Consulate might help us getting one Official and one Coach down to Rio sometime next year, but we need to have some sort of Official's clinic plan in paper to show the Consul. So I need to figure out how does an Official clinic works. How is it planned? How does it work? How many hours do we need to qualify people on the clinic?
Pick me!

Need some more info here. Clinics are handled in a variety of ways. Most of them use classroom, onfield, and film study. Some clinics are only classroom-based, but most of them use some form of onfield training.

Time frame varies depending on the amount of information you want to cover. Some of them are two days long, others three, some are one evening with a follow-up the next morning.

Planning- A group of officials get together and discuss what should be covered in the meeting. Ideally you get a group of upper level guys that would be clinicians for each position. So for instance, if you use 5 man mechanics, have one or two upper level officials for each position- R, H, L, U, and B. Then have these clinicians watch each individual during a live scrimmage and take notes. If you have access to video, film it and watch the film with the clinician and the working officials. Go over the notes, talk about keys, mechanics, rules, whatever comes up. Some clinics break down the film study by position. For instance, R and U together in one room, LOS guys in another room, and deep officials in another room. This works best since each group has similar things they look for. If your guys work all positions, might not want to break out into groups but rather focus on each position for some time.

Last, not sure what you mean about hours to qualify someone. This might be a location-specific topic. Speaking from my experience, most clinics will last between 10-15 hours, depending on topics and amount of onfield work.

I am sure others will offer their experiences. If you want, send me a private message or an email and I would be happy to help in anyway I can.

Other topics to discuss:
  • Rule changes
  • mechanics changes
  • Conflict management
  • Penalty flag and bean bag mechanics
  • Goal line mechanics
  • philosophy (this is a tough topic because each person is different in their philosophies)
  • Using the chains properly- measuring, aiding in penalty enforcement, etc.
  • Uniform expectations
Those are just some of the ideas that come to mind. Many of these depend on the level of experience of the attendees.

Some things to consider would be to contact different collegiate conferences or some of the people at USAFootball.com. There are numerous training tapes out there and some of the conferences might be willing to share theirs. Also, the guys at USA Football attend numerous clinics across the US and also do some things internationally. I helped develop some of the training materials for them this past year and they have a wealth of stuff.

Last edited by grantsrc; Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 04:57pm.