View Single Post
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
In another situation, the punter muffs the snap and begins the act of kicking late. If he is hit before getting the kick off, is it roughing or was he a runner? In the games I have seen called, when the punter muffs the snap, he is fair game and becomes a runner. I seem to remember this from when I played as well.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I do want to understand. Please forgive a new official's curiosity. I can certainly see where this could come up in a game situation, and I want to be able to make the correct call.
I had that exact situation last game of last season.

Snapper snaps the ball over the head of the punter who turns and runs back to get the ball. With his back turned he retrieves it and begins to turn around. Just as he lines up and sets to kick a defensive linesman smothers him and he still managed to get the kick off with the defensive player literally hanging off his leg.

K's coach is livid. You cannot touch the punter, he said.

Remember, "if a kick is apparent" and since the punter was running backwards, a kick is no longer apparent. The punter is now a runner and can be tackled. However, as long as he remains behind the line of scrimmage he can still kick, albeit, without protection.

My answer to the coach was your punter lost his protection once he had to retrieve the ball, as it was no longer apparent he was going to kick.

Pressure on kickers and punters requires more than a knowledge of the rulebook. You have to judge intent. When the punter started to run he was thinking about where to run or maybe hide with the ball; but, he still wanted to kick.

The defender saw a chance to make a tackle in the backfield on a scrambling punter.

But, if the defender saw the punter was going to kick -- and in this case that was not true -- the defender has the responsibility to avoid contact.

What is the correct call? It is what you as the referee judged. Each play will be different and you must be prepared and concentrate on the play.