View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I"m just wondering if you could have game management address the crowd earlier, without tossing them. It might also depend on the level of play. At varsity, with two relatively good teams, or where the winning team is taking the harassment, I'd be inclined to let a lot more go. But if there really is some emotional damage being done, I'd be tempted to nip it in the bud.

edited to add: looking back at OP, sounds like you handled it just about right. V team way ahead, player getting harassed is managed, game management stepped in when boundaries were crossed.
Juulie, in Georgia, it is required that the following statement be read before every GHSA sanctioned game:

“The GHSA and its member schools have made a commitment to promote good sportsmanship by student/athletes, coaches, and spectators at all GHSA sanctioned events. Profanity, degrading remarks, and intimidating actions directed at officials or competitors will not be tolerated, and are grounds for removal from the event site. Spectators are not allowed to enter the competition area during warm-ups or while the contest is being conducted. Thank you for your cooperation in the promotion of good sportsmanship at today’s event.”

Now, #23 you're horrible is a far cry form degrading and intimidating, but if it escalates, that is their warning. After that, the official can direct game management to remove any jacka$$ from the gym.