View Single Post
Old Thu May 23, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Ed,
I've given your response and interruption a lot of thought . I'm just a second year official and have much to learn . I've enjoyed your posts here and respect you opinions as you seem to be a very experienced official . But with all due respect , I'm having a hard time agreeing with you on this one , So I ran our discussion on another board and thought you might be interested in the responses this generated . I believe this should give you access to the thread . http://www.gmcgriff.com/refonline/ww...ges/25555.html
James,

One thing about officiating, those of us who have spent years doing it can learn from those who are new to the sport. In fact, your posting sent me deep into the Rule Book and Casebook.

Your posting on McGriff was interesting because my interpretation was the kick was over since the kicker swiped the kick.

Consider, if K3 was still going through the motion there is no reason to contact him. He is not blocking. He is not acting as a runner. In fact, he is in a dangerous position but no threat to the defense.

My suggestion is think about what could happen. Why is R1 contacting K3, if he is trying to block the kick he should not come in contact with the kicker. Also, calling roughing the kicker requires the ultimate sales job since a kick never occurred.

If you think the contact was avoidable and R1 should have known K3 was not kicking you can call unnnecessary roughness. A 15-yard penalty without an automatic first down.

My personal rule of thumb on roughing the kicker. Most defenders trying to block the kick will come from the outside and try to be at the spot where the kicker makes contact with the ball. Correctly executed there will either be a block or no foul as he will miss everything.

When a defender cones straight on through the line his contact with the kicker is unavoidable if he misses the kick and he will be running into or roughing the kicker.

Roughing the kicker is a judgement call based largely upon timing. As a referee back up a get a wide view of the kicker enough to be able to view defender's action and intent before any contact is possible.

Notice, the NFL has given the referee help on scrimmage kicks by moving the umpire in the offensive backfield on the kicker's off foot.