View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all advantage/disadvantage is written in the rulebook. It is not talked about in the exact terms of "advantage/disadvantage" but it is talked about in the incidental contact rules (Rule 4-27). This rule very clearly states that all contact is not a foul and if normal actions by an offensive or defensive player are not hindered, then a foul should not be called. The rule even says that contact that is severe is not necessarily a foul either.

The question I think you should answer is why do officials feel the need to call the wrong things? From what I see is officials call fouls on the wrong things and hardly ever call fouls on the proper things. For example, I see many illegal screens go on not called or the so-called boxing out (where the defender just backs out a player from behind). And one of the things I see is when that type of contact goes uncalled; the other parts of the game get rougher. It amazes me the minute you call one or two illegal screens in a game, you likely do not have to call another foul of that nature the rest of
the game. Or when you do those calls are accepted.

I do not see advantage/disadvantage being the problem. I see officials not calling off ball fouls that need to be called. We are never going to completely agree when those things should be called or not. But I think the issue is not this philosophy but officials do not watch enough off ball and when a team sees officials calling things they have never seen, then that causes a bigger problem.

Peace
Rut, this is so true.

I can take it farther. I know a coach in my area who only whats certain officials to officiate his games. Because, this is directly from the coach.

"I can run certain plays and know that the officials will make the call in my favor due to their tendencies."

I was shocked to hear a coach state this. But, there was truth to his observations