View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 05:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all advantage/disadvantage is written in the rulebook. It is not talked about in the exact terms of "advantage/disadvantage" but it is talked about in the incidental contact rules (Rule 4-27). This rule very clearly states that all contact is not a foul and if normal actions by an offensive or defensive player are not hindered, then a foul should not be called. The rule even says that contact that is severe is not necessarily a foul either.

The question I think you should answer is why do officials feel the need to call the wrong things? From what I see is officials call fouls on the wrong things and hardly ever call fouls on the proper things. For example, I see many illegal screens go on not called or the so-called boxing out (where the defender just backs out a player from behind). And one of the things I see is when that type of contact goes uncalled; the other parts of the game get rougher. It amazes me the minute you call one or two illegal screens in a game, you likely do not have to call another foul of that nature the rest of the game. Or when you do those calls are accepted.

I do not see advantage/disadvantage being the problem. I see officials not calling off ball fouls that need to be called. We are never going to completely agree when those things should be called or not. But I think the issue is not this philosophy but officials do not watch enough off ball and when a team sees officials calling things they have never seen, then that causes a bigger problem.

Peace
The freight train box out is one that seems to baffle the offenders when it is called. My partner called one on a kid yesterday and he was looking so perplexed that my partner explained what he was doing. He apparently was a kid who needs re-tests in class, because not too much time passed before I called him for a foul on a freight train box out.